|Date Posted||January 13, 2021|
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, you are responsible for the Company’s global legal affairs and compliance for the Company’s products. You will have the opportunity to build the legal and compliance teams that you will manage.
- Practice Areas
- Primary practice areas include software product compliance, contracts, financial services, intellectual property, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Corporate Counsel Responsibilities
- Anticipate legal issues and identify proactive solutions to eliminate or mitigate risks.
- Develop and implement compliance training and educational programs to improve the Company’s understanding of related laws and regulatory requirements.
- Oversee the delivery of legal services and resources across departments to accomplish organizational goals, strategies, and priorities.
- Oversee and manage product compliance efforts.
- Lead the legal and compliance department through a multi-product launch and participate in product and cross-functional development throughout the lifecycle of these initiatives.
- Guide legal aspects of business development and work closely with ecosystem participants that use the Company’s technology platform.
- Compliance Responsibilities
- Implement a strategy for product development to foster innovation while maintaining compliance and mitigating potential risk.
- Review new and existing products to manage compliance with global laws, regulations, and best practices, particularly AML/KYC, money-services business regulation under the Bank Secrecy Act, OFAC regulations, and broker-dealer registration.
- Develop and execute a compliance strategy, including all necessary policies and procedures, to ensure the Company conducts its operations in compliance with all applicable rules, regulations, laws, and best practices.
- Lead response, investigation, analysis, and applicable corrective action pertaining to any compliance matter.
- Perform compliance audits to evaluate compliance with applicable laws and regulations, report to company leadership, and advise on and implement any necessary corrective action.
- Oversee the annual development of a risk assessment and annual compliance work plan that identifies the organization’s unique characteristics and areas of regulatory risk, with a focus on the Company’s products, and set forth a risk mitigation plan that will be implemented by the organization.
- Cross-Departmental Support
- Work closely with product and engineering teams to provide pragmatic and actionable advice and to ensure that all product offerings are properly designed, registered, licensed, and operated.
- Monitor compliance activities within all departments and collaborate with department heads to identify trends in noncompliance; including determining compliance metrics and establishing a system for real-time tracking and reporting.
- Ensure all relevant departments are educated on intellectual property protection strategies and manage the Company’s intellectual property portfolio.
- Lead Company’s data and privacy initiatives to comply with global data and privacy regulations through advice and implementation with IT and engineering teams.
- Advise the government relations department on legislative and regulatory initiatives.
- Maintain and support a culture of legal compliance.
- Regulatory Research, Analysis, and Application to Operations
- Keep abreast of legal and compliance developments, particularly those impacting the blockchain, cryptocurrency, custody, and identity industries at the global, federal, and state levels.
- Analyze key legal developments and educate leadership on new legislative or regulatory changes that may impact the Company.
- Translate global, federal, and state laws governing the Company’s technology platform into technical and operational legal requirements, auditing functions, reporting, and mitigation tactics.
- Contract Negotiation and Drafting Responsibilities
- Negotiate and document complex corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions.
- Management of Legal and Compliance Departments
- Oversee all aspects of the Company’s legal and compliance functions and build a team as the Company needs to grow.
- Establish a relationship with current and future members of the legal and compliance team, maintain regular interaction, and provide consistent support to each member.
- Provide counsel and assistance on ethical situations and crisis management.
- Select and oversee outside counsel law firms and manage departmental spending.
- Create an annual departmental budget and prepare and provide reports for regular briefings with EVP and CEO.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO SUCCEED
To ensure success, you must possess strong initiative, communication, and management skills while having deep knowledge and understanding of the laws and regulations applicable to our operations. The ideal candidate will have skill sets that can successfully navigate the Company through a myriad of initiatives.
You will have a proven track record of making sound and prudent legal decisions; while being a team player with outstanding advocacy and people skills. You will have strong business judgment, the ability to persuade, outstanding leadership qualities, and integrity. You will have an in-depth understanding and appreciation for how legal and compliance operations impact emerging technology companies, along with an understanding of the balance between accomplishing business objectives and mitigating risks throughout the product development, launch, and operation processes. You have experience working at the intersection of financial services and technology with a deep understanding of the Bank Secrecy Act and OFAC regulations. You multi-task effectively and organize workflow based on the Company’s priorities. You have a passion for startup environments and are not reluctant to roll up your sleeves and help wherever you are needed.
YOUR EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
This position requires a JD from an ABA-accredited law school and 7-10 years of legal and compliance experience, with a minimum of 5 years in-house experience and 5 years leading a compliance department. Experience bringing software products to market for a technology company is strongly preferred.