|Location||San Francisco, CA|
|Date Posted||May 27, 2021|
Requisition ID # 94401
Job Category : Business Operations / Strategy
Job Level : Manager/Principal
Business Unit: Strategy & Policy
The Decarbonization Strategies team, within the Energy Strategy & Innovation Department, has a unique calling as a bridge from strategy to execution to help PG&E become the sustainable utility of the future. Our mission is to lead utility-level strategy ideation, strategy selection, strategic pilots, and initial implementation of cross-organizational and/or cross-departmental strategic initiatives for issues with significant impacts to PG&E in the 2025-2050 timeframe.
Current areas of focus of the team and department include:
- Decarbonization strategies
- Develop strategies to facilitate the future of the gas business in response to California’s decarbonization objectives
- Identify building decarbonization strategies to facilitate PG&E’s readiness for growth of building electrification
- Develop strategies for transportation electrification to support PG&E’s role in accelerating electric vehicle adoption and system readiness for new load
- Strategic innovation
- Scan the internal and external landscapes for new ideas, innovative technologies, and pilot opportunities that inform key strategies
- Ideation, selection, and prioritization of key strategic issues
- Market frameworks and innovation
- Prepare PG&E to evolve its business model in response to external energy market drivers, such as peer-to-peer transactions and blockchain developments
- Develop scenario planning to prioritize key emerging issues for strategy development
- Develop PG&E’s strategy and respond to municipalization efforts
- Execute analyses needed for data-driven decision making
- Microgrid strategies
- Support evolution of microgrids as part of PG&E’s grid infrastructure, developing strategy, policy, analysis, tariffs, and programs; and transition to execution
- Reduce the scope and scale of public safety power shutoffs (PSPS)
- Community strategies
- Understand our communities’ energy objectives (e.g. resilience, microgrids, decarbonization, and sustainability), partner on project development, and drive strategy and pilots accordingly
New areas of strategic importance may be added as new critical topics are identified.
The Decarbonization Strategies team works cross-functionally to bring various PG&E lines of business together to:
- Identify and prioritize key strategic issues for the utility
- Research key strategic issues and develop strategy materials for executives
- Coordinate and execute pilots, demonstration projects and proof-of-concepts
- Engage and influence relevant regulatory and policy proceedings
- Conduct market scans and technology assessments
- Manage cross-functional learning and decision-making groups with participants from across PG&E
- Act as PG&E’s liaison to external discussions, such as industry working groups and community initiatives
Decarbonization Strategies utilizes effective project management, strong written communication and facilitation skills, and breadth of scope to bring together a broad set of goals and objectives.
- We put safety first.
- We are accountable. We act with integrity, transparency and humility.
- We are here to serve our customers.
- We embrace change, innovation and continuous improvement.
- We value diversity and inclusion. We speak up, listen up, and follow up.
- We succeed through collaboration and partnership. We are one team.
The Decarbonization Strategies team is seeking a new team member with a drive to develop innovative ideas into exciting new solutions that help PG&E become the sustainable utility of the future.
We are looking for someone who is interested in working on subjects such as:
- How could future technological and other socioeconomic developments impact and/or be integrated into PG&E’s business operations?
- How would electrification of buildings, appliances, and vehicles impact the electric and gas businesses from an operational and strategic perspective?
- How might California’s decarbonization policies impact PG&E’s gas business and operations?
- How can PG&E partner with local communities to help achieve decarbonization objectives?
The Principal Strategic Analyst will be responsible for leading one or more, and supporting several work streams or pilots/projects within the team’s scope. Work will encompass project management and execution, documenting learnings, and identifying innovative solutions. The ideal candidate will be willing to learn project management techniques and analytical tools to apply to business or policy issues. The ideal candidate will also demonstrate excellent communication skills in executive and regulatory settings and have excellent skills in creating standardized documentation.
The Decarbonization Strategies team develops strategy and pilots and leads strategic initiatives to help PG&E lines of business solve business challenges and accelerate PG&E’s transition to the sustainable utility of the future. Hence, this role requires close collaboration between many internal and external stakeholders. The Strategic Analyst will coordinate among various lines of business including Energy Policy and Procurement, Customer Care, Regulatory Affairs, Electric Operations, and Gas Operations.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Leads one or more, and provides significant contribution to PG&E-wide work streams, acting as a thought leader applying extensive unique subject matter expertise in the development of strategy or resolution of complex issues.
- Leads identification, development, implementation, and resolution of issues associated with complex, cross-functional strategy and policy matters at PG&E.
- Designs and develops regulatory and commercial strategies or policy positions.
- Provide supporting technical quantitative and qualitative analysis to support the design, test and evaluation of strategy and pilots/projects
- Aid in the development of proof-of-concepts, demonstrations and pilots that showcase and test a variety of potential innovative solutions
- Work with external vendors for implementation, testing, and troubleshooting
- Work with key stakeholders to support pilot/project objectives, execute strategy, and disseminate learningsCoordinate meetings and engage stakeholders – drive project execution across internal stakeholders, key partners, end-users, and vendors
- Negotiates and advocates on behalf of PG&E in regulatory forums and interactions with external stakeholders.
- Help develop communications materials to engage PG&E leadership, internal program management teams and external stakeholders in pilot objectives and learnings
- Gather metrics and work with project lead to keep pilots within specified scope, schedule, cost, and quality objectives.
- Aid in development and execution of external contracts, like non-disclosure agreements
- Lead pilot final closeout report writing process, with contributing stakeholders
- Manage lessons learned process and develop an iterative feedback loop to ensure pilot teams are nimble and adaptable
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, statistics, mathematics, business, finance, sociology, engineering, physics or other related fields or equivalent work experience
- Ten or more years of relevant experience
- Advanced degree in a relevant discipline.
- Organized, with strong drive for results
- Analytically-minded, with some background of quantitative analysis
- At least five years performing analytic work related to electric or natural gas policy, planning, regulation, or wholesale markets.
- Performing project management, product development or analytic work related to electric or natural gas policy, pilots, planning, regulation, or wholesale markets.
- At least three years working at electric or natural gas utilities, independent power producers, wholesale energy market participants, regulatory agencies, consulting firms, or similar organizations.
Additional Desired Skills:
- Management skills and abilities:
- Leads and manages project teams and major cross-functional initiatives.
- Leads business process improvements for analysis or advocacy activities.
- Proficiency in managing multiple assignments simultaneously, prioritizing, and delivering quality results on time
- Can effectively communicate with credibility, confidence and clarity highly complex ideas to diverse audiences
- Can solve unique and complex problems, anticipating issues and developing innovative solutions
- Can work with an array of stakeholders in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to support cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to work with internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically
- Bias toward action
- Technical knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Understanding of California regulatory context
- Understanding of retail and wholesale electric markets
- Demonstrated expertise in developing and executing pilot projects
- Demonstrated experience applying analytical tools, methodologies, and frameworks to business or policy issues in the electric or natural gas industries
- Proficiency with tools and methods for project management and continuous improvement
- Experience with Design Thinking tools and processes