|Location||Menlo Park, CA|
|Date Posted||October 1, 2021|
For many people around the world, basic financial services are still out of reach: about 1.7 billion adults globally remain unbanked. The cost of that exclusion is significant — $25 billion is lost by migrants every year through remittance fees. This is the challenge we’re hoping to address with Novi, whose goal is to provide people everywhere access to safe and affordable financial services through the Diem payment system, which is built on blockchain technology. Our first product will be a digital wallet - Novi - for the Diem network, and it will be available in Messenger, WhatsApp, and as a standalone app. At Novi, you will be working with a talented and dedicated group of people who are passionate about changing the world. Our leadership is experienced and some of the best minds working today in their respective fields. Facebook is looking for exceptional candidates to serve as Lead Counsel on the commercial legal team for its blockchain initiative. You will be responsible for drafting and negotiating a wide variety of contracts to support the Novi business development and partnerships teams and will also advise on legal risks, business strategies and other issues related to commercial transactions and the business as a whole. This is a great opportunity to join a growing legal team and work at the forefront of helping to deliver new technologies and have a major global impact around the world.
- Draft and negotiate a variety of complex agreements on behalf of the partnerships and business development teams of Novi, Facebook's blockchain initiative
- Provide legal and strategic business advice to help develop a comprehensive, long-term approach to the commercial aspects of our products and programs
- Coordinate with cross-functional teams and legal subject matter experts to ensure transactions satisfy business and legal requirements
- Ability to lead and manage numerous deals and meet tight deadlines when necessary to achieve business objectives
- Open to travel as and when required
- J.D. degree (or foreign equivalent) and membership in at least one US state bar
- 5+ years of attorney experience (either in-house and/or at a law firm), with a background in technology transactions
- Experience drafting complex agreements with technology companies and/or financial institutions and leading contract negotiations
- Experience advising clients and managing deals on deadlines with minimal supervision
- Experience building relationships and collaborating cross-functionally with business teams and other members of the legal team (regulatory, product, privacy, etc.) to ensure business needs are met
- Background in fintech and/or blockchain and experience with the legal issues arising from fintech and/or blockchain applications
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at [Click Here to Email Your Resumé].