|Location||San Francisco, CA|
|Date Posted||March 17, 2021|
Requisition ID # 84600
Job Category : Business Operations / Strategy
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Strategy & Policy
The Energy Strategy & Innovation team has a unique calling as a bridge from strategy to execution. Our mission is to lead utility-level strategy ideation, strategy selection, strategic pilots, and initial implementation of cross-organizational and/or cross-departmental strategic initiatives for issues with significant impacts to PG&E in the 2025-2050 timeframe.
The Energy Strategy & Innovation team designs, tests, and integrates innovative solutions to accelerate PG&E’s transition to the sustainable utility of the future. This includes researching key industry trends with strategic impact, creating pilots and projects to test the feasibility of “utility of the future” concepts and to learn by doing, and developing long term strategic initiatives for the company.
Current areas of focus include:
- Strategic innovation
- Scan the internal and external landscapes for new ideas, innovative technologies, and pilot opportunities that inform key strategies
- Ideation, selection, and prioritization of key strategic issues
- Decarbonization strategies
- Develop strategies to facilitate the future of the gas business in response to California’s decarbonization objectives
- Identify building decarbonization strategies to facilitate PG&E’s readiness for growth of building electrification
- Develop strategies for transportation electrification to support PG&E’s role in accelerating electric vehicle adoption and system readiness for new load
- Market frameworks and innovation
- Prepare PG&E to evolve its business model in response to external energy market drivers, such as peer-to-peer transactions and blockchain developments
- Develop scenario planning to prioritize key emerging issues for strategy development
- Develop PG&E’s strategy and respond to municipalization efforts
- Execute analyses needed for data-driven decision making
- Microgrid strategies
- Support evolution of microgrids as part of PG&E’s grid infrastructure, developing strategy, policy, analysis, tariffs, and programs; and transition to execution
- Reduce the scope and scale of public safety power shutoffs (PSPS)
- Community strategies
- Understand our communities’ energy objectives (e.g. resilience, microgrids, decarbonization, and sustainability), partner on project development, and drive strategy and pilots accordingly
New areas of strategic importance may be added as new critical topics are identified.
The Energy Strategy & Innovation team works cross-functionally to bring various PG&E lines of business together to:
- Identify and prioritize key strategic issues for the utility
- Research key strategic issues and develop strategy materials for executives
- Coordinate and execute pilots, demonstration projects and proof-of-concepts
- Engage and influence relevant regulatory and policy proceedings
- Explore innovative solutions for short and long term strategy initiatives.
- Conduct market scans and technology assessments
- Manage cross-functional learning and decision-making groups with participants from across PG&E
- Act as PG&E’s liaison to external discussions, such as industry working groups and community initiatives
Energy Strategy & Innovation utilizes effective project management, strong written communication and facilitation skills, and breadth of scope to bring together a broad set of goals and objectives.
- We put safety first.
- We are accountable. We act with integrity, transparency and humility.
- We are here to serve our customers.
- We embrace change, innovation and continuous improvement.
- We value diversity and inclusion. We speak up, listen up, and follow up.
- We succeed through collaboration and partnership. We are one team.
The Energy Strategy & Innovation team is seeking a new team member with a drive to develop economic models and perform quantitative analysis that transforms innovative ideas into exciting new solutions that help PG&E become the sustainable utility of the future.
We are looking for someone who is interested in working on solving questions such as:
- How could we quantify the impacts of future technological and other socioeconomic developments on PG&E’s business model? How could we analyze and test alternative business models?
- How would electrification of buildings, appliances, and vehicles impact the electric and gas business model from customer equity and shareholder risk perspectives?
- How might technology developments such as blockchain enable new utility business models in California?
- How could multi-customer microgrids evolve in California, and how might different models for commercial relationships, retail tariffs, and energy transactions be analyzed, tested, and shaped?
- How can innovative solutions help envision the grid of the future? What would be the economic and regulatory impact with such innovative solutions in place?
The Expert Strategic Analyst will be responsible for conducting quantitative analysis to support several work streams or pilots/projects within the team’s scope. Work will encompass constructing economic models, performing various types of quantitative analyses (e.g., cost-benefit, earnings impact, customer equity, etc.) to inform prioritization and selection of innovative solutions that are identified through strategy development. The ideal candidate will be well -versed in the current energy utility cost-of- service business model and ratemaking and willing to learn new analytical and quantitative approaches to apply to business model or policy evaluation issues. The ideal candidate will also demonstrate excellent communication skills in executive and regulatory settings and have excellent skills in communicating and creating documentation of quantitative models.
The Energy Strategy & Innovation team develops strategy and pilots and leads strategic initiatives to help PG&E lines of business solve business challenges and accelerate PG&E’s transition to the sustainable utility of the future. Hence, this role requires close collaboration between many internal and external stakeholders. The Strategic Analyst will coordinate among various lines of business including Energy Policy and Procurement, Customer Care, Regulatory Affairs, Electric Operations, and Gas Operations
Key responsibilities will include:
- Provide significant contribution to PG&E-wide work streams, acting as a thought leader applying extensive unique subject matter expertise in the development of strategy or resolution of complex issues
- Designs and develops regulatory and commercial strategies or policy positions
- Provide supporting technical quantitative and qualitative analysis to support the design, test and evaluation of strategy and pilots/projects
- Aid in the development of proof-of-concepts, demonstrations and pilots that showcase and test a variety of potential innovative solutions
- Work with external vendors for implementation, testing, and troubleshooting
- Work with key stakeholders to support pilot/project objectives, execute strategy, and disseminate learnings
- Collaborate with ES&I team members to research, update and manage innovations portfolio
- Coordinate meetings and engage stakeholders – drive project execution across internal stakeholders, key partners, end-users, and vendors
- Help develop communications materials to engage PG&E leadership, internal program management teams and external stakeholders in pilot objectives and learnings
- Gather metrics and work with project lead to keep pilots within specified scope, schedule, cost, and quality objectives.
- Aid in development and execution of external contracts, like non-disclosure agreements
- Lead pilot final closeout report writing process, with contributing stakeholders
- Manage lessons learned process and develop an iterative feedback loop to ensure pilot teams are nimble and adaptable
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Business, Finance, Sociology, Engineering, Physics or other related fields or equivalent work experience
- Six or more years of relevant experience
- Organized, with strong drive for results
- Analytically-minded, with extensive background of financial and economic analyses
- Proficient in Excel (pivot tables, advanced formulas, etc.)
- Advanced degree in a relevant discipline.
- At least five years performing quantitative analytic work related to electric or natural gas policy, planning, regulation, or wholesale markets.
- At least three years working at electric or natural gas utilities, independent power producers, wholesale energy market participants, regulatory agencies, consulting firms, or similar organizations.
Additional Desired Skills:
- Management skills and abilities:
- Leads and manages project teams and major cross-functional initiatives
- Leads business process improvements for analysis activities
- Proficiency in managing multiple assignments simultaneously, prioritizing, and delivering quality results on time
- Can effectively communicate with credibility, confidence, and clarity highly complex analytical ideas to diverse audiences
- Can solve unique and complex analytical problems, anticipating issues, and developing innovative solutions
- Can work with an array of stakeholders in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to support cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to work with internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically
- Bias toward action
- Technical knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Understanding of California regulatory context
- Understanding of retail and wholesale electric markets
- Demonstrated expertise in developing economic and financial models
- Demonstrated experience using analytical tools and quantitative methodologies to business or policy issues in the electric or natural gas industries
- Proficiency with tools and methods for project management and continuous improvement
- Experience with Design Thinking tools and processes
- Experience with Python, R, or similar scripting languages
- Experience working with data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, Power BI)
- Experience analyzing large volumes of data, extracting insights and processing large data sets using SQL or SQL-like scripting language