|Date Posted||January 15, 2021|
Job Description Summary
As a Director of UX for Digital, you will lead a UX team to deliver UX research and UX and UI designs for a large portfolio of Edison digital software and solutions spanning imaging, reporting, workflows, AI, analytics, data management and visualizations, and enterprise healthcare platform tools. You will leverage your knowledge of industry UX best practices, design team management and proven UX processes to optimize delivery of consistent high-quality UX for next-generation healthcare software on schedule with superb design craftsmanship.
Company is a leading global medical technology and digital solutions innovator. Our Digital organization is structured around three major areas: Products & Platform, Go to Market and Centers of Excellence.
Essential Responsibilities :
Utilize your technical proficiency in Design Research, Visual Design, Interaction Design, Design Technology or Content Strategy by owning and managing multiple rapid research, design, prototyping and product development efforts, including UX budgets
- Coordinate, scope, plan, coach, mentor, lead, and provide career guidance and development to a global group of UX professionals in Chicago, Pittsburgh, Budapest, China, India, and France
- Identify skill gaps within the team and work to fill gaps with talent, experience or training; develop, onboard or implement new tools and processes to enable the
- Influence change and business decisions through partnerships with others and using the latest UX methods, such as Google Design sprints, collaborative design, service design, informal and formal testing and rapid prototyping
- Be a passionate advocate and evangelist of UX with executives, business leaders, and company talent at all levels of the org. and externally
- Work with product owners and architects to develop realistic multigenerational product plans that properly prioritize, scope and plan for UX research, design and testing at all phases of the product development process.
- Work with product owners across the businesses to understand market needs & vision; work with teams to quickly translate that vision into workflows, interactions and designs for software
- Participate in and lead team discussions relative to current user experience projects. Feel comfortable independently leading design sprints, UX requirements definition sessions and design thinking workshops and accurately scoping UX research and design work
- Work directly with customers and users to understand business and technical needs, goals, work processes and outcomes
- Contribute to and leverage a healthcare-wide design system
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of Agile software development as well as Lean UX methodologies and can troubleshoot the challenges of integrating UX into an Agile model
- Become a recognized internal expert on UX for healthcare diagnostic imaging software, data, enterprise tools and AI
- Guide effective documentation and communication of design - via wireframes, mockups, workflows, prototypes, written requirements, usability documentation and coded UI components
- Provide leadership and contribute to the larger UX community at Healthcare Digital
- Leads team’s engagement with product owners and other business stakeholders to frame problems, prioritize and scope design efforts, receive and respond to design feedback, with the ultimate goal of shipping a high-quality product that is valued by our customers
- Leads teams to use participatory design activities (e.g. paper prototype co-creation, card sorting) to understand vision, business model and assumptions and tacit knowledge about user needs and behaviors
- Leads teams to conduct user research to understand user needs, mental models and working contexts
- Synthesizes output of stakeholder research & creates visualizations that effectively summarize key insights related to user and customer needs and behaviors, product definition.
- Leads teams to create annotated prototypes or wireframes of user interface designs that visually and textually communicate the behavior of a software application.
- Facilitates constructive design thinking workouts.
- Preferably, demonstrates strong UX knowledge and leadership in the healthcare sector and particularly healthcare diagnostics, reporting, monitoring and/or imaging software
- Bachelor’s Degree in Interaction, Graphic, or Industrial Design preferred or in STEAM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) or related field; or equivalent work experience
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience in user experience design
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in people management
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job
- Must be willing to travel
Desired Characteristics :
- Directs and mentors others to use systems thinking to address problems and questions at scale.
- Plans and scopes design programs that improve product and service UX at scale.
- Creates, analyzes & manages projects that provide direct business impact.
- Demonstrates detailed knowledge of how healthcare and healthcare diagnostic industry trends & competitive landscape impact GE.
- Sees patterns within industry issues and broader trends, such as in AI, blockchain, consumer health monitoring and autonomous transportation
- Identifies new project opportunities based on design thinking principles and prior outcomes.
- Translates the realistic and creative ideas into plans and actions. Thinks beyond boundaries to create vision.
- Assembles the larger 360 view and communicates that picture to others.& Leadership
- Uses facilitative techniques to lead cross-functional teams
- Recognizes and shapes group dynamic, energy, progress, unproductive/disruptive behavior toward desired goals of session.
- Influences through others, including by use of experts or other third parties. Builds direct and "behind the scenes" support for ideas. Foresees downstream consequences and effectively tailors communication strategy to support a positive outcome.
- Uses root cause analysis to identify, correct and/or eliminate the causes of problems as well as the problem itself.
- Recommends corrective as well as preventative actions. Recommends timeframes in which to execute preventative actions. Initiate change requests in response to risks that threaten the projects.
- Creates meaningful stories and two-way communications that drive behavior.
- Communicates functional strategy and roadmap with sufficient detail for teams to utilize.
- Coaches others on effective presentation skills.
- Collaborates with leadership on mediums and messages that drive the intended direction of the organization with measurable results. Personal Attributes:
- Strong bias towards action and delivery
- Functions effectively under pressure, with tight deadlines and on high-visibility projects. Prior digital agency experience preferred
- Uses critical thinking skills, analytical and emotional reasoning and disciplined approaches to help leaders and leadership teams understand the value and impact of UX, resolve issues and define optimal solutions
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with senior leadership with confidence and clarity. Strong industry leadership, presentation and public speaking abilities preferred
- Identifies new opportunities by creating bonds of trust with customers. Creates a team environment where people are motivated, share more, feel more engaged, and ultimately perform better
- Able to help colleagues see the value of a human-focused perspective in technology research, design and development.
- Acts and decides appropriately when all available information may not be possible to obtain.
- Preferably, possesses strong existing domain knowledge