Blockchain Technical Expert
|Published||February 4, 2023|
About the Role
Blockchain Technical Expert
The Innovation team's mission is to accelerate and de-risk the creation and adoption of new technologies for SWIFT and its customers. Innovative technology combined with great methodologies is the ethos of our team. We are champions of responsible innovation - a key objective for our company. To that accord, one of the key streams of work within our team is around exploring Central Bank Digital Currencies and Tokenised Assets. In this space, SWIFT is actively engaging with central banks, financial institutions, technology providers, and academics to explore the potential of Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs) and how SWIFT can support central banks should they implement digital currencies in the future. As part of this role, you will leverage your technical expertise in digital currencies, distributed ledgers, and blockchain technology to design, scope, and conduct innovation experiments that align with key areas of interest for SWIFT (such as: interoperability between different CBDC networks and existing RTGS payment rails in domestic and cross-border contexts, interlinking between multiple CBDC networks, and tokenisation of securities assets and cash settlement with CBDCs).
* Conduct technical consultation sessions with customers and internal stakeholders on innovation initiatives strategy, and market trends to define and scope initiatives in the blockchain space
* Work closely with Solution Architects, Product Owners, and Engineering Leads to evaluate, compare and design optimal solutions that meet business objectives, including conducting detailed assessments for DLT solutions in scope to determine the feasibility of successful implementation and present solutions to senior level and executive audiences, both internal and external.
* Assess the capabilities and limitations of technology vendors, and, where appropriate, evaluate the benefits and drawbacks of DLT or non-DLT, including presenting and communicate complex solutions to technical and non-technical partners in a clear and concise manner to demonstrate how solution designs will enable business needs will enable business needs
* Define application and technical patterns, project deliverables, including rationale for those decisions and architecture solution.
* Lead technical aspects of innovation initiatives (POC's, experiments, etc.) such as partner evaluations, technology vendor assessments, and alignment with emerging technology trends, business strategy, objectives, and roadmaps.
Technical Skills & Core Competencies:
* Experience in enterprise-level DLT architecture, development, design, integration, and implementations of enterprise DLT POCs.
* Hands-on engineering experience designing distributed systems and implementing DLT solutions for financial services or other enterprise applications.
* Exceptional communication skills, comfortable presenting complex technical concepts in front of large audiences, both technical and non-technical.
* Ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and summarize and present findings to senior-level executives.
* Proven ability and experience working with senior stakeholders and enterprise applications, preferably within the financial services industry.
* Experience with blockchain and DLT technologies with in-depth knowledge of smart contracts, tokenization, consensus mechanisms, frameworks, and standards.
* Ability to guide and contribute to building product strategy, define architecture, processes, and measurements for achieving functional objectives.
* Deep understanding of Hyperledger and Ethereum-based protocols and ecosystem, their relevance to permissioned blockchain architectures and their implications on decentralized applications and being able to reason about different scalability approaches.
* Quality-oriented: You know that production-ready software takes more than just committing code
* Agile mindset: You like to learn and continuously improve the way we work
* Security mindset: You know that security is always top of mind and are conscious of keeping in line with Security policy
* Appetite for the business: You like technology and you love to use it to create solutions to help your customers
* Autonomous and driven with strong ability to quickly adapt and respond to change
* Customer oriented and quality mindset - we continually strive to deliver true customer value
* Open-minded, solutions oriented, and a true team player who gains energy through collaboration
* Willingness to continuously learn and take ownership of projects and tasks
* A team player willing to work in a multicultural environment, able to build and maintain working relationships across internal and external organizations and virtual teams
* Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
Nice to have:
* Knowledge of enterprise blockchain and existing payment systems and concepts such as correspondent banking, settlement/clearing, RTGS, etc. is a plus
* Experience with and deep understanding of full stack development lifecycle including best practices, code reviews, testing, building UIs, and integrating with databases
* Working knowledge of modern software development practices and technologies such as Agile methodologies, Design Thinking, DevOps, and CI/CD practices.
* Demonstrated ability to independently research technical topics and generate creative and innovative solutions using design thinking, lean and agile frameworks
* 3+ years of experience in a similar capacity requiring strong technical and business understanding
* See core competencies for relevant experience
* University degree in computer science or related field. Or equivalent work experience
What we offer
We put you in control of career
We give you a competitive package
We help you perform at your best
We help you make a difference
We give you the freedom to be yourself
We give you the freedom to be yourself. We are creating an environment of unique individuals - like you - with different perspectives on the financial industry and the world. An environment in which everyone's voice counts and where you can reach your full potential regardless of age, background, culture, colour, disability, gender, nationality, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran/military status.