|Date Posted||May 18, 2019|
At ICAT, we have a single goal: help business owners and homeowners recover from a disaster. Comprehensive coverage, best-of-class service, industry leading expertise, and innovative product solutions – this is what ICAT provides. With ICAT, our customers can expect enhanced coverages, customized options and the security that comes with a diverse line up of strong carrier partners. We currently protect over 100,000 homeowners and business owners in catastrophe-exposed regions of the United States and have paid over $1.5B in claims.
Technology is at the forefront of ICAT’s business strategy, and has been for over 20 years. Its enduring commitment to top-rated user experience, comprehensive, accurate, and easily accessible underwriting data, and efficient, intuitive systems for internal users, is demanding and ever-changing. ICAT is looking for the next leader of its dynamic technology team to deliver differentiating digital experiences in the placement of insurance, capitalizing on new opportunities to grow our business.
The Chief Information Officer is accountable for defining and delivering IT strategy and capabilities across ICAT. This includes infrastructure, application development, data architecture, analytics and business intelligence, reporting, security and technical services. Additionally, the CIO is the ICAT Executive responsible for IT initiated projects and their appropriate delivery frameworks. Reporting to the CEO, the CIO will be responsible for providing oversight and direction to IT and business leadership on broad technology strategy, business opportunities stemming from emerging technologies, and business continuity risks/mitigations.
As an ICAT Executive Committee member, the CIO is responsible for actively participating in the development and delivery of the Company’s strategic goals. The CIO must maintain a clear an understanding ICAT’s products, services and strategic initiatives, and key business and technology drivers affecting the industry.
The CIO manages 5 to 7 direct reports on the IT leadership team; total headcount in the Information Technology organization is approximately 50 (40 full-time associates, 10 contractors, co-located at the Broomfield office location, and an offshore quality assurance and development team).
- Proactively evaluate and advise on emerging technologies, digital trends, & products most relevant to company goals and evolving needs.
- Help determine capital investment parameters, priorities and risks for IT initiatives to maximize return on investment.
- Identify and build strategic partners for co-creation, partnership or acquisition.
- Identify and filter market and technology trends (within and outside the insuretech space) through extension research to capture new product opportunities.
- Deliver scalable and reusable digital platform components to power next-gen capabilities and tailored customer experiences.
- Where appropriate, foster agile development culture and tools with an eye to reduce time to market and seize market opportunities.
- Ensure, ongoing, that current and planned technical architecture, investments and solutions are aligned with short and long-term business objectives.
- Build strong relationships across business groups and their leaders, and develop a detailed understanding of their issues, challenges and opportunities.
- Deeply understand ICAT’s customers and their short and long-term needs.
- Implement the most appropriate and effective IT organizational design to support and engage with the business.
- Ensure transparency and collaboration between the IT organization, its business partners, and third-party relationships.
- Prepare and monitor IT operational budgets in a manner that meets objectives and constraints.
- Foster a culture of innovation, transparency and accountability in IT.
- Promote a “business-first” mentality at all levels of the IT organization.
- Develop and implement communication strategies that enable non-IT personnel within the organization to adequately understand the Company’s IT strategies, systems, and processes.
- Ensure the IT organization has strong systems analysis and project management skills, and the ability to execute business-critical projects.
- Develop and maintain a plan that provides for succession and continuity in the most critical IT management positions.
- Ensure that IT staff develop and maintain understanding of the customer and maintain a working knowledge of company’s products and initiatives to ensure alignment between departments.
- Direct the design, planning, implementation, and maintenance of the data and computing infrastructure that supports the company’s operations and business applications.
- Oversee the day to day operations of ICAT’s technology organization across Application Development, Data & Reporting, Infrastructure, Systems Operations, Project Delivery, & Quality Assurance teams.
- Maintain oversight of all IT projects, ensuring that commitments are properly planned, staffed, monitored and reported. Assume a leadership role in technology projects with primary accountability for major information technology projects.
- Maintain a comprehensive enterprise information security program to ensure the integrity, confidentiality and availability of relevant data.
- Monitor and measure the performance, integrity and availability of ICAT’s data, systems, applications, and resources.
- Maintain/develop standards and metrics to ensure that business needs are met and maintained reliably.
- Manage company-wide disaster recovery and business continuity plans.
- Establish and pragmatically apply IT policies, processes, portfolio management, development standards and methodologies.
- Monitor the industry for developments in IT operations; evaluate and implement relevant new tools and service management frameworks.
- Review, recommend, and oversee all vendors and managed service agreements for computing, telecommunications, IT services, and equipment.
- Act as primary relationship manager on strategic third-party relationships.
- Responsible for all Information Technology audit and compliance activities.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications:
Leadership and Communications
- Must possess a unique combination of strategic thought leadership, deep technology and product expertise, inspirational leadership skills and ability to collaborate.
- Significant leadership experience and the demonstrated ability to lead a team to attain goals through effective planning, mentoring, coaching and motivation.
- Ability to act decisively and anticipate and react to high speed of change and navigate through complexity.
- Possesses exceptional business acumen, analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent negotiating skills with internal customers and external service providers.
- Comfortable with ambiguity; can handle the unexpected with flexibility.
- A team player who favors collaborative approaches when working with internal and external partners.
- Change agent with communication and influencing skills across various levels of stakeholders including senior executives of the company.
- Demonstrated experience driving digital transformation and business growth through innovation and the implementation of technology.
- Possesses solid knowledge in emerging technologies, and the ability to apply these in the service of the company’s key business goals.
- Experience leading complex, major change initiatives; demonstrated skills in change management.
- Builder of strong technology vendor partnerships, and able to manage multiple vendor relationships to ensure the best performance and financial return.
- Knowledgeable across a full range of vendor technology solutions; able to select and integrate the most appropriate technologies to support the business.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement comprehensive approaches to cyber security and risk management.
- Experience designing and managing an effective IT governance framework across the spectrum of IT service delivery.
- Outstanding organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced, high pressure environment.
- A strong background in operational and capital finances, and IT budget development
Professional Experience and Education:
- 15+ years of technology experience with a proven track record in developing scalable, customer-facing capabilities.
- Proven track record in driving digital, data & analytics transformation initiatives in Financial Services or Insurance domains.
- Strong industry expertise, networks and knowledge of emerging trends across Data/Analytics (Big Data, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, AI), Digital (Mobile, Blockchain, Hyper-personalized Digital Experiences, IoT and IoT Analytics) and CyberSecurity/Privacy (Data Protection, Regulations, Cryptography) domains is a must.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or related field or equivalent experience.